Today’s blog is about how to shift your mindset. This one is an important one for me, because it is something I have had to learn, and sometimes it has been a struggle. I know that I can’t be the only one, and therefore I wanted to make this blog all about how to shift your mindset and give you my best tips and techniques which you can try for yourself. Now this is a massive topic, so today is all about the overview, and we will deep dive into the different aspects of it over the next few weeks
First of all, what do I mean by mindset? What I am talking about is your frame of mind. The way you are feeling right now. The mood that you are in. That is your mindset. Just check in – how is your mindset right now? Your mindset affects how you feel about life.
Now, there are 2 ways of looking at mindset:
In a fixed mindset, people believe that their basic qualities such as intelligence or talent are fixed traits. They don’t believe they can be changed.
In a growth mindset, people believe that their basic abilities can be developed through dedication and hard work. Things can change.
Now I’m assuming that you are coming from a growth mindset seeing as you are reading this blog, and that you believe that things can change, or more to the point, you believe that YOU can change your thoughts. Therefore, it follows that you also understand that the mindset that you are in at this moment in time can also be changed. If you wake up feeling that you had a rubbish night’s sleep, that you are dreading going to work, that you hate your job, that you look fat, and you generally berate yourself about your short-comings then you are in a very negative mindset. Maybe you are worried and anxious about something. The truth is that whilst you are feeling overwhelmed and anxious, your mind is cloudy and you are not in the position to make positive changes. What you need to do is change your mindset. Easier said than done – I hear you!
I’ve been there, I know how it feels, I know that when you are in that mindset it can be hard to understand that things can change. But they can and it starts with you.
Success and happiness are all about mindset, so if you find that you are unhappy in any aspect of your life then mindset will be at the bottom of it. It affects everything in your life from what you think and feel to how you act and react. A negative mindset will hold you back from getting to where you want to be in life.
Here are 6 tips to upgrading your mindset, and I am going to go into more detail about each of these over the coming weeks:
- Inner Self-talk – be an observer of the things that you say to yourself. What is the self-talk running through your head? Your thoughts create your reality, and your negative self-talk affects your mindset. You need to turn this self-talk around. I’ve written a blog on this called Choosing Your Thoughts which you might like to read.
- How you speak to others – be an observer when you are talking to your friends and family. What are you saying about yourself? Do you say things like ‘I’m always rubbish at that…’ or put yourself down in your conversation? (Even in a jokey way?) Do you rerun negative stories over and over? Instead of talking about your problems how about talking about all that is going well? There really is always something positive you can find. This will encourage a positive mindset and abundance.
- What’s bugging you most? Is your weight bugging you? Is it that you aren’t exercising enough? Maybe you have a list? Pick a goal you would like to achieve and think to yourself what mindset do people who have succeeded at this goal have? Your mind doesn’t know the difference so if you keep telling yourself something your mind will believe it and will be open to accepting a new mindset about health and fitness.
- Practice Gratitude. Whoa I love this one! I am briefly touching on this and will go in much more detail in the near future, but you might like to read my blog: ‘Habits to change Your Life- My Favourite Technique’ which gives you some more detail. In addition to that I have a FREE downloadable Gratitude Journal workbook which has full instructions and daily pages that you can print and complete.
- Schedule ME time: make non-negotiable time for yourself where you can read and listen to uplifting content; practice mindfulness or meditation; do some emotional freedom technique or similar. Practice yoga; take time for you. Thing is – if you don’t look after YOU then you can’t help anyone else. You have to put your own oxygen mask on first.
- Surround yourself with like-minded people – avoid the negative nellies. It can be difficult when your partner or spouse is of a negative mindset – remember you can’t change them you can only change yourself. You can choose your friends though, so if you have friends who drain your energy with their negativity you might want to limit the time you spend with them.
I hope that you have found this useful – I know that I’ve included a lot of content, but this is the overview and I will go into more details in the coming weeks to really help you to embed the tools to change your mindset.
Don’t forget my free downloadable Gratitude Journal Workbook which I just know you will find useful.